The 4th Water Expert Group (WEG) of the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM) took place in Barcelona on 17th and 18th May 2011. At this meeting, the members of the Water Expert Group in which MENBO participates, were informed of:
- The establishment and institutionalization of the UfM Secretariat and the Environment and Water Division during 2010,
- The 2011 Work Programme of the Environment and Water Division approved by the UfM Senior Officials in December 2010,
- The role and responsibilities of the WEG according to the Water Ministerial Declaration (Jordan 2008),
- The Project Guidelines approved by the UfM Senior Officials in April 2011,
- The background and current Status of the UfM Project Pipeline for the Water Sector,
- Information provided by several WEG members on their projects,
- EU funded regional projects in the field of Water in the Mediterranean region (under ENPI) and Horizon 2020,
- Future considerations for technical collaborative work on Water Issues in the Union for the Mediterranean with the presentation of several scenarios by the UfM Secretariat.
The UfM Water Expert Group (WEG) was mandated by the Euro-Mediterranean Ministerial Conference on Water (22 December 2008, Dead Sea, Jordan). The Ministers agreed to entrust the Group of Water Experts (WEG) to develop and execute a Water Strategy for the Mediterranean (WSM). The WEG is comprised of high level representatives from the relevant Ministries and convenes twice a year.
Please find the Agenda, the List of participants and the Conclusions of the meeting.